Subject: [yam] Status: draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-pre-evaluation-00

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:36:42 -0700

The IESG has completed its evaluation of 
draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-pre-evaluation-00.  There is an outstanding 
issue about Security Considerations.  I posted a message about that 
at http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00132.html  I 
received some feedback from the Alexey.  I edited the information for 
this status update.

The IESG is fine with all the changes except for the 
downreferences.  The format is generally Ok, several ADs commented 
that the pre-evaluation document was useful.

The following paragraphs are about the process.  The general view was 
that the IESG cannot really judge the process by doing a simple 
document.  It doesn't make sense to approve extensions first, then 
run into the possibility of not approving changes to the document 
being  extended.  The WG should move the main documents first instead 
of the dependent documents.

The IESG would like to ask the YAM WG to evaluate a core document 
such as RFC 5321 or RFC 5322.  It is viewed that the evaluation of 
these documents is more likely to highlight issues that might be 
relevant to all the other documents.

The next step the AD recommends is to review RFC 5321 and come back 
to 8BITMIME once the pre-evaluation of RFC 5321 is complete.

Please comment on the above.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
YAM WG Secretary