Subject: [yam] Looking for implementations of RFC 3848 (ESMTP and LMTP Transmission Types Registration)

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:30:09 +0000

I would like to move RFC 3848 to Draft Standard, so I am collecting 
information for the implementation report.
Please let me know if you know of implementations (MTAs/MDAs) that 
generate such parameters (in particular 
ESMTPA/ESMTPS/ESMTPSA/LMTPA/LMTPS/LMTPSA) and clients that parse 
Received headers and analyze/check the corresponding WITH parameter values.

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:43:40 -0800 (PST)

> Received headers and analyze/check the corresponding WITH parameter values.

Sun's MTA generates any/all of these as appropriate. 

				Ned

---

From: Hector Santos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:32:54 -0500

> Received headers and analyze/check the corresponding WITH parameter values.

Just to get clarification, your interest is in CLIENTS or MAILBOTS 
that read the Received header compliant with RFC 3848?

Currently, our SMTP server supports RFC 1869 so the receiver currently 
supports the stamping of the required SMTP transaction Received 
prepending trace line "With ESMTP" (EHLO was used) or "With SMTP" 
(HELO was used).

Now that I am aware of RFC 3848, I will go ahead and jot this down for 
a future revision consideration to include support for:

    ESMTPA
    ESMTPS
    ESMTPSA

However currently, we don't have any support for SMTP clients or SMTP 
receivers that read/use that information for incoming messages. 
Personally, this question is probably best addressed at operators 
and/or 3rd party developers writing AVS mailbot scripts.

-- 
Sincerely

Hector Santos
http://www.santronics.com

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 09:32:29 +0000

> that read the Received header compliant with RFC 3848?

I am interested in knowing about both generators and consumers of the 
WITH values.
I think it would be easier to find agents that generate such values, so 
yes, I am especially interested to learn about consumers.

> a future revision consideration to include support for:

Good.

> and/or 3rd party developers writing AVS mailbot scripts.

Feel free to forward my email to such people.

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:02:08 +0000

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>
> Please let me know if you know of implementations (MTAs/MDAs) that generate
> such parameters (in particular ESMTPA/ESMTPS/ESMTPSA/LMTPA/LMTPS/LMTPSA)

Exim, since version 4.42 released on 2004-08-27.

> and clients that parse Received headers and analyze/check the
> corresponding WITH parameter values.

SpamAssassin uses them to detect message submission hops.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
GERMAN BIGHT HUMBER: SOUTHWEST 5 TO 7. MODERATE OR ROUGH. SQUALLY SHOWERS.
MODERATE OR GOOD.

---

From: Mark Martinec <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:10:53 +0100

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> ESMTPA/ESMTPS/ESMTPSA/LMTPA/LMTPS/LMTPSA)

Postfix MTA since 2007-07-20:

20070720
        Support for RFC 4954 (SASL AUTH, updates RFC 2554, refines
        some reply codes and introduces DSN enhanced status codes)
        and RFC 3848 ("Received ...  with ESMTPS?A? ...). Currently,
        support for the latter is always on.  Files: smtpd/smtpd.c,
        smtpd/smtpd_sasl_proto.c, smtpd/smtpd_sasl_glue.c.

> SpamAssassin uses them to detect message submission hops.

Indeed, since 3.0.3, some time around April 2005.

  Mark

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:06:06 +0000

I should probably note that Exim also uses the "smtps" protocol keyword,
if the client says HELO (not EHLO) within a TLS session. This can be
either TLS-on-connect in old smtps style (traditionally port 465), or by
using STARTTLS (yes, EHLO -> STARTTLS -> HELO is a bit bizarre).

Tony.