Subject: [yam] #11: RFC 5321 3.1: Clarify language for 554 status code

From: "yam issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:12:35 -0000

#11: RFC 5321 3.1: Clarify language for 554 status code
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  sm+ietf@…                    |       Owner:     
     Type:  defect                       |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major                        |   Milestone:     
Component:  5321bis-smtp-pre-evaluation  |     Version:     
 Severity:  -                            |    Keywords:     
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Comment about RFC 5321 posted by John Levine on 13 Nov 2009

 In Section 3.1, a server can offer two greetings to a new
 connection, 220 or 554.  The semantics of the 554 are utterly
 unclear.  Plausible interpretations include:

 a) This domain has rejected your mail, give up and report the message(s)
 as undeliverable, as though you got the 554 in response to DATA.

 554 YOU ARE BLACKLISTED. FOAD.

 b) This server is broken, try others as though you couldn't connect to
 this one.

 554 MY NETAPP IS EMITTING SMOKE. SORRY.

 c) This server is sort of broken, try others at the same MX priority
 but not lower.

 554 MY SPOOL DISK IS CURRENTLY FULL. SORRY.

 http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00175.html

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/yam/trac/ticket/11>
yam <http://tools.ietf.org/yam/>