Subject: [yam] I-D Action:draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:45:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Yet Another Mail Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : SMTP Service Extension for 8-bit MIME Transport
	Author(s)       : J. Klensin, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2010-01-20

This memo defines an extension to the SMTP service whereby an SMTP
content body consisting of text containing octets outside of the US-
ASCII octet range (hex 00-7F) may be relayed using SMTP.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:49:06 -0500

Now that draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-01 is out, it needs the usual 2-week 
WGLC, starting today Thursday 1/20 and ending Thursday 2/4.

	Tony Hansen

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:52:04 +0000

Tony Hansen wrote:

> Now that draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-01 is out, it needs the usual 
> 2-week WGLC, starting today Thursday 1/20 and ending Thursday 2/4.

The ABNF needs to be updated not to use "::=":

body-value ::= "7BIT" / "8BITMIME"

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:55:46 +0100

> 	Title           : SMTP Service Extension for 8-bit MIME Transport

Should section 2 mention that the extension is valid for both SMTP and 
Submit? I haven't got that bit quite straight, yet...

A similar nit is whether section 6.1 couldn't just say "IANA is asked 
to /update the entry of/ the SMTP Service Extensions registry" rather 
than /add an entry to/. Only the RFC number has to be changed in 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/mail-parameters, AFAICS.

---

From: SM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:14:24 -0800

Hi Alessandro,
At 01:55 25-01-10, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>Should section 2 mention that the extension is valid for both SMTP 
>and Submit? I haven't got that bit quite straight, yet...

I'm not disagreeing (or agreeing) with you. :-)  I previously 
commented on the extension registration at 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00263.html

Regards,
-sm