Subject: [yam] Protocol Action: 'SMTP Service Extension for 8-bit MIME Transport' to Full Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:31:49 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SMTP Service Extension for 8-bit MIME Transport '
   <draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-03.txt> as a Full Standard

This document is the product of the Yet Another Mail Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Lisa Dusseault.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-yam-rfc1652bis-03.txt

Technical Summary

   This document defines an extension to the SMTP service (8BITMIME)
   whereby an SMTP content body consisting of text containing octets
   outside of the US-ASCII octet range (hex 00-7F) may be relayed using
   SMTP.

Working Group Summary

   The YAM WG adopted a two-step approach to move this document to Full
   Standard. The first step was a pre-evaluation of the existing
   specification to identify changes and non-changes. The YAM WG
   requested feedback from the IESG on those decisions. The second step
   was to incorporate the changes into the document and ensure that any
   implementation that conforms to the Draft Standard version of the
   specification remains compliant with this document. There was no
   controversy. There is consensus to move the specification to Full
   Standard.

Document Quality

   The document has a high degree of technical maturity. In the 16
   years since publication, this specification has become an integral
   part of all professional SMTP software products and is widely
   supported in Internet Mail operations. Ned Freed rewrote part of the
   text in Section 3 as the Draft Standard version was published prior
   to the introduction of key words to indicate requirement levels.

Personnel

   S. Moonesamy is the Document Shepherd for this document. Alexey
   Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Notes

1) Please replace the Section 5 (Security Considerations) to read:

  This RFC does not discuss security issues and is not is not believed to

  raise any security issues not already endemic in electronic mail and
  present in fully conforming implementations of [RFC5321], including
  attacks facilitated by the presence of an option negotiation mechanism.

  Since MIME semantics are transport neutral the 8BITMIME option
  provides no added capability to disseminate malware than is provided
  by unextended 7bit SMTP.

2) Please change the section "6.2.  Acknowledgements" to be a top level
   section.

---

From: Tony Hansen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:47:56 -0400

We got one through! Congratulations team!

And the experiment continues.

	Tony Hansen