Subject: [yam] draft-ietf-yam-5321bis-smtp-pre-evaluation-05

From: Mykyta Yevstifeyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:31:51 +0300

Hello,

Currently, an active YAM WG document is 
draft-ietf-yam-5321bis-smtp-pre-evaluation-05.  According to 
Datatracker, Alexey brought this to IESG's attention in mid-2010.  
Minutes from telechats 6 and 20 May, 2010 show that there were no 
objections from IESG members for advancing SMTP to Full Standard 
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00450.html).  This 
is also what other messages on the list implied.  Then, I see, nothing 
happened; RFC 5321 is still at Draft.  I haven't been tracking the WG's 
work then; so could somebody inform whether there going to be some 
action with respect to this issue.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev

---

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 23:26:31 -0700

Hi Mykyta,

I an not copying this reply to the IESG as, in my opinion, it only 
increases the amount of messages they receive when the question can 
be addressed through the working group mailing list.  If you believe 
that your question has not been addressed correctly, you can follow 
up with the responsible AD, the IESG or any party of your choosing.

At 21:31 04-07-2011, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
>(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00450.html). 
>This is also what other messages on the list implied.  Then, I see, 
>nothing happened; RFC 5321 is still at Draft.  I haven't been 
>tracking the WG's work then; so could somebody inform whether there 
>going to be some action with respect to this issue.

Please note that Tony Hansen, one of the YAM WG co-chairs, replied to 
the message you mentioned [1].  The minutes for the IETF78 meeting 
[2] contains a comment from John Klensin, the editor of 5321bis.  The 
minutes also covers some of the discussion about process issues.

The working group has been working on 4409bis since then.  It's 
unlikely that there will be any action on RFC 5321 within the next 
month.  If you have any more questions the work of the YAM WG, feel 
free to post them to this mailing list.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00451.html
2. http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/yam/current/msg00560.html

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 20:26:16 +0100

Hi Mykyta,

> nothing happened; RFC 5321 is still at Draft.  I haven't been tracking 
> the WG's work then; so could somebody inform whether there going to be 
> some action with respect to this issue.

I let WG chairs and Pete (as the current responsible AD) comment on plans for the WG, but I can tell you where I left this document before stepping down from IESG.

Basically the WG decided to delay work on 5321bis until the fate of 3 step standardization process is decided. I believe Russ' draft that changes the process is still in progress.

I think YAM WG might be rechartering to work on this document anyway. But that is not certain yet. Also see my disclaimer above about who is in charge of this mess now :-).