Subject: [yam] Rules of engagement

From: S Moonesamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 14:12:07 -0700

Dear YAM WG,

The goal of the DRUMS WG was to develop and review revised versions 
of RFC 821 and RFC 822.  Several years later there was another 
(non-WG) effort which resulted in RFC 5321 and RFC 5322.  Any work 
along the same lines will turn out to be very controversial.  It may 
take between 12 to 24 months to see any results.  WG participants 
will strongly disagree with each other, with the editors and with the 
WG Chairs.  In effect, everyone will end up hating each other.

I gather that some of you would like to see RFC 5321 reopened.  I 
don't know whether this working group will be rechartered or whether 
RFC 5321 will be a work item.  I am not keen about that unless the 
rules of engagement are clear.  As usual, nothing in this message 
should be read as curtailing your rights and privileges as stated in 
any process document.

I expect discussions to be short and sweet no matter whether you are 
right or not.  If that is a foolish expectation, you should say so now.

I am still learning about the art of cat-herding.  I expect you to 
understand that there will not be strong agreement about some of the 
technical changes you will ask for.  Can you live with that?

I expect that there will not be a rehash of past discussions and that 
you will not restate your arguments numerous times to make your point.

People who have not participated in previous efforts have been given 
some leeway.  I expect that this is no longer necessary.

If RFC 5321 is opened, you can consider the honeymoon as over. :-)

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 17:51:11 -0400

> I expect that there will not be a rehash of past discussions and that you
> will not restate your arguments numerous times to make your point.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Oh, SM, you slay me.

[Wipes tears from eyes.]

Barry