Subject: [yang-doctors] xym improvements regarding the line numbers

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 20:44:55 +0200

Dear all,

Jan Medved made a few improvements to xym (the YANG module extraction 
tool for IETF drafts/RFCs):

  * There was a bug that was stripping pretty much all newlines - that
    is removed.
  * I changed the logic for removing newlines to strip 3 lines before
    the Footer and 2 lines after the Header (of course, Header and
    Footer are being removed too). This results in higher fidelity of
    the extracted module formatting to the RFC/draft author’s intended
    module formatting. However, 100% fidelity can not be achieved - in
    some cases, a newline intended by the module author may be falling
    exactly on the boundary of the 5 removed newlines, so it will be
    removed. I don’t think there exists a heuristics that would figure
    out when to leave the newline there and when to remove it - it can
    be anywhere in the text. The result is, some newlines intended by
    the author may be unintentionally removed.
  * Debug output - prints line numbers and parsing level and, depending
    on the debug level, either the line currently parsed itself (debug
    level 2), or a hex dump of the currently parsed line (debug level 3).

The extracted YANG modules should be more in line with rfcstrip 
regarding the line numbers (a concern raised lately)
As such it should ease the troubleshooting. If you still see some 
discrepancies with rfcstrip, let us know.

The latest version of xym will be posted soon in github.
Thanks Jan.

Regards, Benoit