Subject: [YANG] Status of YANG work

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 13:24:02 +0200

The joint IAB and IESG telechat that discussed the BOF planning for the
Vancouver meeting recommended against approving a YANG BOF at this
stage. 

The principal objection that was raised by several IAB and IESG members
was related to the fact that no clear case was made about the need to
create a new data modeling language specifically for NETCONF. Although
the NETCONF community experimented with XSD and RelaxNG for the last
couple of years there is no written documentation of the problems that
were encountered in using those, and no clear justification of why a new
data model language is needed. 

Assuming a data modeling language is needed, another question was asked
about how specific and NETCONF-tailored a this should be. The NETCONF
community was asked to consider the option of working with the APPS area
in the creation of a data-modeling language that would cover a broader
range of IETF applications. 

A discussion in this sense will be hold in the APPSAREA meeting in
Vancouver. I suggest that the YANG folks prepare themselves well for
this discussion with solid arguments to show the need, management
configuration specific requirements and operational and implementation
needs that guide this work. Having these documented in an Internet-Draft
prepared for this scope would be very useful. This meeting is scheduled
preliminarily for Monday morning and roughly half of the agenda will be
dedicated to this subject. 

In order not to lose momentum and time with the YANG technical work, I
suggest to finish the work and submit the initial yang draft as planned
and to have it discussed in a mini-BOF format at the OPSAREA meeting
scheduled for later in the week. 

I personally believe that there is a good case for doing the YANG work
in the IETF, but we need to do some work in order to explain better to
the larger IETF constituency the work that happened in the area in the
last few years and share the implementation experience and specific
needs that make us believe that we need to do YANG. 

Dan

_______________________________________________
YANG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang