Subject: [YANG] FW: Request for a YANG BOF at IETF70, Vancouver

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:25:08 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: David Partain [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 12:28 PM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); Ron Bonica
Subject: Request for a YANG BOF at IETF70, Vancouver

     BOF proposal - YANG modeling Language for NETCONF
           IETF 70, Vancouver

Chairs: David Partain and TBD

The NETCONF Working Group has completed a base protocol to be used for
configuration management.  However, the NETCONF protocol needs a
standard content layer.  The specifications do not include a modeling
language or accompanying rules for how to model the management
information that is to be configured using NETCONF.  A data modeling
framework is needed which supports ongoing development of IETF and
vendor-defined modules, within an integrated and seamless conceptual
configuration database.

This BOF proposes the YANG modeling framework as the standardized
modeling framework for NETCONF.  Existing languages have been analyzed
and deemed insufficient.

Input Document:

    draft-bjorklund-yang-00.txt (not yet published, snapshot attached)

Send comments on this BoF proposal to the YANG list
list:

    mailto:[email-masked] (tentative - needs to be set up, can be on NGO
list until then)

Tentative agenda:

  1. YANG Overview - Features of the language and examples

  2. YANG Details - go into the nitty gritty

  3. Q&A

  4. Charter discussion and next steps

Proposed charter for the YANG Working Group:

  The Working Group will define a modeling language and
  associated modeling rules to be used when defining management
  information to be used specifically with NETCONF.  The Working
  Group is NOT chartered to define a protocol-independent
  modeling language.  The working group will use YANG as its
  starting point.

  All Working Group documents will be standards track. The
  Working Group will produce document(s) covering the following.

  1. The language and rules for the new language ("YANG").

  2. A one-to-one reversible translated format ("YIN") to/from
  XML without loss of semantic data information.

  3. The rules for translation into XSD but not necessarily back
  into the native format.

  4. Derived types for YANG.

Constraints on the Working Group:

  1. The language will have a C-like syntax.

  2. The language will not be backwards-compatible with SMIv2.

  3. The language cannot be used to model generic XML.

  4. Conformance issues will be handled later.

Milestones:  (ALL of these dates are very loose at this point)

  1. Feb 2008: Working Group chartered, -00 draft published based
  upon draft-bjorklund-yang-00.txt

  2. Early April 2008: -01 of base spec after first IETF

  3. Late Apr 2008: Interim meeting

  4. Jun 2008: -02 of base specification in advance of July IETF,
  -00 of mapping to XML and -00 of mapping to XSD

  etc...

  Finishing spring/summer 2009?
_______________________________________________
YANG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/yang

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:04:34 +0200

The I-D version attached to the previous mail is a very preliminary
version, and should be treated as no more than an outline. As I
understand the team is preparing the initial submission and I suggest to
spare consistent comments for that one. 

Dan

> From: Romascanu, Dan (Dan) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:25 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [YANG] FW: Request for a YANG BOF at IETF70, Vancouver
> 
>  
> 
> 
>  
> 
> The NETCONF Working Group has completed a base protocol to be 
> used for configuration management.  However, the NETCONF 
> protocol needs a standard content layer.  The specifications 
> do not include a modeling language or accompanying rules for 
> how to model the management information that is to be 
> configured using NETCONF.  A data modeling framework is 
> needed which supports ongoing development of IETF and 
> vendor-defined modules, within an integrated and seamless 
> conceptual configuration database.
> 
> This BOF proposes the YANG modeling framework as the 
> standardized modeling framework for NETCONF.  Existing 
> languages have been analyzed and deemed insufficient.
> 
> Input Document:
> 
>     mailto:[email-masked] (tentative - needs to be set up, can 
> be on NGO list until then)
> 
> Tentative agenda:
>